H-4  Spouse and Children of H Visa

H-4 Visa


Spouse and Children of H visa


What is H-4 visa?

H-4 is the dependent category of H-1, H-2 and H-3 visas, i.e., for the spouse and children of the H visa holders.

Who can apply for H-4 visa?

The spouse and children under 21 years old of a H visa holder can apply for H-4 visa to accompany the H visa holder in his or her employment in the U.S.  

Privileges and Limitations of H-4 visa:

• H-4 visa holders can study in the U.S. and no need to transfer to F-1 visa.

• H-4 visa holders are not allowed to work in the United States.

• The authorized stay in the U.S. under the H-4 status normally expires at the same time the principal H visa holder loses his or her H status. 

How to apply for H-4 visa?

• If you are not in the United States at this time, you should use forms DS-156, DS-157 and DS-158 to apply for H-4 visa at a U.S. Consulate office.

• If you are currently in the United States and in a status other than H-4, your should use form I-539 to apply for a change of status to the H-4 status.

• If you are already in the United States and in the H-4 status and wish to extend the period of stay, your should use form I-539 to apply for the H-4 extension.

// Skimlinks.com code login: seanyuan@ymail.com