Spouse and Children of L visa
What is L-2 visa?
L-2 is the dependent category of L-1A and L-2B visas, i.e., for the spouse and children of the L-1 visa holders.
Who can apply for L-2 visa?
The spouse and children under 21 years old of a L-1 visa holder can apply for L-2 visa to accompany the L-1 visa holder in his or her employment in the U.S.
Privileges and Limitations of L-2 visa:
• L-2 visa holders can study in the U.S. and no need to transfer to F-1 visa
• L-2 visa holder who is the spouse of the L-1 visa holder can work in the U.S. after obtaining an Employment Authorization Card from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services. L-2 visa holders who are Children of L-1 visa holders are not allowed to work in the United States.
• The authorized stay in the U.S. under the L-2 status normally expires at the same time the principal L-1 visa holder loses his or her L-1 status.
How to apply for L-2 visa?
• If you are not in the United States at this time, you should use forms DS-156, DS-157 and DS-158 to apply for L-2 visa at a U.S. Consulate office.
• If you are currently in the United States and in a status other than L-2, your should use form I-539 to apply for a change of status to the L-2 status.
• If you are already in the United States and in the L-2 status and wish to extend the period of stay, your should use form I-539 to apply for the L-2 extension.