Spouse and Children of H visa
What is H-4 visa?
H-4 is the dependent category of H-1, H-2 and H-3 visas, i.e., for the spouse and children of the H visa holders.
Who can apply for H-4 visa?
The spouse and children under 21 years old of a H visa holder can apply for H-4 visa to accompany the H visa holder in his or her employment in the U.S.
Privileges and Limitations of H-4 visa:
• H-4 visa holders can study in the U.S. and no need to transfer to F-1 visa.
• H-4 visa holders are not allowed to work in the United States.
• The authorized stay in the U.S. under the H-4 status normally expires at the same time the principal H visa holder loses his or her H status.
How to apply for H-4 visa?
• If you are not in the United States at this time, you should use forms DS-156, DS-157 and DS-158 to apply for H-4 visa at a U.S. Consulate office.
• If you are currently in the United States and in a status other than H-4, your should use form I-539 to apply for a change of status to the H-4 status.
• If you are already in the United States and in the H-4 status and wish to extend the period of stay, your should use form I-539 to apply for the H-4 extension.