Spouse and Children of F-1 visa
What is F-2 visa?
F-2 is the dependant category of F-1 visa, i.e., for the spouse and children of F-1 visa holders.
Who can apply for F-2 visa?
The spouse and children under 21 years old of a F-1 visa holder can apply for F-2 visa to accompany the F-1 visa holder in his or her study in the U.S.
Limitations of F-2 visa:
• F-2 visa does not allow to study full time except F-2 children may engage in full time study in elementary or secondary schools (from kindergarten to 12th grade).
• F-2 visa holders are not allowed to work in the United States.
• The authorized stay in the U.S. under the F-2 status expires at the same time the principal F-1 holder loses his or her F-1 status.
How to apply for F-2 visa?
• If you are not in the United States at this time, you should use forms DS-156, DS-157 and DS-158 to apply for F-2 visa at a U.S. Consulate office.
• If you are currently in the United States and in a status other than F-2, your should use form I-539 to apply for a change of status to the F-2 status.